Time is UTC - 5 hours

Title: Hello and noob Question
PostPosted: Nov 2, 2009 
Neo Busker

Well, I have to say, I'm thrilled to be here. I've been reading a great deal about many of the busker's adventures that visit here, online.

My name is Reb--the group is TigerSoop.

I used to busk with a guitar, years ago in my younger days when Subway Elvis used to lend me his old hole in front of the Eaton Centre. I wound up with a "semi-permanent" weekend singing gig out of that.

Now I am much older *chuckle*

Anyway, to make a short story longer--we started an acapella [plus percussion] busking group with a some "vintaged" women in Toronto. We have 3 right now, all of us to some degree, disabled.

We went out on Nuit Blanche [big art event] the crowds were large and available but it's a "free" event and I suppose the people figured we were being paid by the organizers. We had a blast though, people danced, sang along, played tambourines, videotaped and photographed us all over the place.

For Halloween we went out dressed like tigers, however we picked a crappy hole. If we'd moved 2 blocks we would have had huge crowds. We noticed this when leaving. Silly us!

The funny bit of Hallowe'en was the panhandler. He tries us out and Cash [who is "bottling"?] says to him, "But brother! We're out here busking! Cantcha see the jar?"

Panhandler greebles a bit and gives her 50c.

Then he wanders away mumbling curses for giving us his change :lol:

Anyway, we are rehearsing now for a bit of Christmas and then we're getting serious about busking for the spring. We can't be full time [can't get around very well] although we're hoping to be sort of permanent part time. We're also hoping to get some more members for spring.

I've read plenty but it's nice to have real people to ask questions!

I do have one. Does anyone know if "hatting" is considered "aggressive panhandling" in Toronto?

I look forward to e-meeting some of the nice people I keep reading about and maybe having a cuppa if you are in or coming to Toronto. :tiphat:

Profile E-mail  

Title: Re: Hello and noob Question
PostPosted: Nov 3, 2009 
Bloody Busker

Blog: View Blog (3)
Last I looked, Toronto required a permit. Best to simply call up City Hall or the Police and ask them what the state-of-the-art is....quite literally.

Title: Re: Hello and noob Question
PostPosted: Nov 4, 2009 
Neo Busker

Thanks for the tip. I checked that out and there used to be a registration online you could download but it has *poofed*??!!

I know buskers who don't have permits that never get "popped" and one guy who keeps getting hit with $200 fines out on the beach.

I did see a video of a juggler "hatting" [he used a little kid from the audience for the hat line, very well done] and who is gonna bust a 6-year old?

I'll let ya know what I find out in case you're ever in town!

Profile E-mail  

Display:  Sort by  

Time is UTC - 5 hours

Who's Online